Monday, April 5, 2010

Gift of the Gods

Gift of the Gods

Ademia's Hut

ADEMIA sits at a small shrine. She lights a candle.
The STRANGER enters.
STRANGER
Those etchings on your hands. They’re like ancient runes.
ADEMIA
Demetrius.
DEMETRIUS
I wonder if the gods are trying to say something.
ADEMIA
I – We thought you dead.
DEMETRIUS
Why would you think a thing like that?
ADEMIA
One day you were here, one day you weren’t. Gone for nearly twenty years.
DEMETRIUS
I hear you were visited by Zeus.
ADEMIA
You heard correctly.
DEMETRIUS
I hear he lay with you.
ADEMIA
You heard correctly.
DEMETRIUS
And you’d kept this information from me?
ADEMIA
It was after you’d come and gone. You came in summer; he came that autumn.
DEMETRIUS
And what was his form?
ADEMIA
He came to me as a wounded wolf.
DEMETRIUS
So I’ve heard.
ADEMIA
You don’t believe me.
DEMETRIUS
The months don’t add up.
ADEMIA
Chrysander came premature. He’s the son of a god: a big strong boy cannot be confined to the womb for the same duration of a normal babe.
DEMETRIUS
You’ve practiced this lie well.
ADEMIA
I tell no lies!

No comments:

Post a Comment