Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Lipstick on a Lark



Lipstick on a Lark
Hotel lobby.
It is empty except for PEPPER KERRIGAN, a pretty 17-year-old girl dressed in sensible clothing. She thumbs through a teen magazine. She is very, very bored.
ROBBIE VEREEN, 19, walks in. He checks his watch, sighs and sits down. He pulls out a newspaper and begins to skim through it.
ROBBIE
(with a charming drawl)
Fifty thousand dollars in pork barrel money to research some wildlife mating patterns. Whoo-ee, those Democrats sure know how to waste our tax payer money. Are you here for the convention?
PEPPER
Yes. Yes I am.
ROBBIE
Didn’t care to hear the opening speech?
PEPPER
I’m supposed to meet my mother. She said to wait for her in the lobby.
ROBBIE
Before the day’s even started?
PEPPER
After it ended. I just figured I’d be early.
ROBBIE
You’re a quick one. Politics not your forte?
PEPPER
I got over them pretty quick.
ROBBIE
Then why you here?
PEPPER
My mother wanted me to come.
ROBBIE
You seem like a grown woman. Your mother make all your decisions?
PEPPER
My mother’s the kind of person who, when she makes decisions she makes decisions, and she’s going to get her way. There’s no highway option – there’s just her way.
ROBBIE
Even if her way involves giving up a whole week of your summer.
PEPPER
Even if her way involves giving up a whole week of my summer.
And you? Why are you here?
ROBBIE
My pops is speaking and I figured I could use a road trip.
PEPPER
Then why are you out here?
ROBBIE
I’ve heard half these folk speak before. And the half I haven’t heard aren’t worth listening too.
PEPPER
Have you heard my Betty Kerrigan speak?
ROBBIE
Governor of Alaska? She is definitely in that second half.
PEPPER
She’s my mother.
ROBBIE
Oh. Begging your pardon little lady, I didn’t mean to—
PEPPER
No, I know what you mean. She never has much interesting to say and I’d be surprised if anyone would want to hear it.
ROBBIE
Apparently someone does if she booked this gig.
PEPPER
She’s on Tuesday. In the middle of the day. At the same time as about a million workshops and other far more interesting things to occupy us young Republicans. No one’s going to go listen.
ROBBIE
You never know what might interest this young Republican.
PEPPER
I thought you said she wasn’t worth listening to.
ROBBIE
Maybe I was wrong.
PEPPER
Probably not.
ROBBIE
I don’t believe I caught your name little lady.
PEPPER
Pepper. Pepper Kerrington. I don’t think I caught yours either.
ROBBIE
I’m Robbie. I’m named for my pops.
PEPPER
Robert Vereen. You’re Robert Vereen’s son.
ROBBIE
That I am.
PEPPER
He’s the front-runner for the Republican nomination.
ROBBIE
That he is.
PEPPER
You’re a hair’s breath from being the First Son.
ROBBIE
A hard summer of campaigning and a fall of mudthrowing ads is hardly a hair’s breath.
PEPPER
Well a heck of a lot closer than I’d ever get to being First Daughter.
ROBBIE
Isn’t politics grand.* Listen: what say you we blow this clambake and go see a movie or something?
PEPPER
I don’t—
ROBBIE
It’ll be a helluva lot more exciting than listening to these stuffed shirts pander and prod.
PEPPER
I’ve kind of got a boyfriend. Back in Alaska.
ROBBIE
And I got me a girl in South Carolina. This is just as friends.
PEPPER
That would be lovely.
ROBBIE stands.
ROBBIE
After you Miss Kerrington.
PEPPER
Thank you Mr. Vereen.
They exit.
*Will add more conversation here later.

No comments:

Post a Comment